VIVA! VEGANISTA WEEKLY WINNER
3 April 2017
They're a recreation of the Chocolate Chunk Shortbread from the M&S bakery section - I've been meaning to veganise them for ages because they were my absolute favourite sweet treat before I went vegan.
- 250g vegan butter (room temperature)
- 130g caster sugar (+ more for coating)
- 375g plain flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 150g vegan chocolate - I use a mixture of milk, white and dark chocolate
How it’s done:
1. Add the butter and sugar to a mixing bowl and beat together until soft and creamy.
2. Add in the vanilla extract and salt.
3. Mix in the flour until it comes together into a ball of dough.
4. Chop the chocolate into small square chunks and knead into the shortbread dough.
5. Wrap the dough in cling film and chill in the fridge until firm, around 30 - 60 mins.
6. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C and line two baking sheets with non-stick baking paper.
7. Turn the shortbread mixture out onto a floured surface, cut in half and set one half aside. Roll out the remaining half to around 1cm thick and then cut into 6x6cm squares.
8. Transfer the squares onto the baking trays and repeat with the other half of the dough.
9. Bake in the oven for 12-14 minutes, turning halfway through. They are ready when the edges have started to turn golden.
10. Transfer to a cooling rack.
11. Once they have cooled for 5-10 minutes, pour some caster sugar into a shallow dish and dip each of the biscuits in the sugar so they are thinly coated.
12. Ready to enjoy with a cup of tea!