His name is Allan Conway but you’ve probably never heard of him. I hadn’t until he strolled into our Liverpool Incredible Veggie Roadshow. Allan is a hero! His story is diminished not one jot by being 25-years old and it has never been told until now.
Allan was a truck driver for a general haulage company in Runcorn and carried all kinds of everything from one end of Britain to the other.
Make-up, cosmetics and hair care products, which weren’t hiding nasty animal ingredients or tested on poor defenceless creatures in laboratories, used to be hard to find. And when you did lay your hand on any, quite often they cost a small fortune.
Never thought I’d say it but I’ve got lulled into football – and through an unlikely source, my stomach! Forest Green Rovers, based in Gloucestershire, are a Blue Square Premier club whose chairman is on an eco mission. Dale Vince, vegan, founder and CEO of Britain’s only clean, green energy company, Ecotricity, loves football – but also animals and the planet.
Just weeks after becoming chairman of the club he banned red meat from the dressing room for reasons of health and as part of his green agenda.
Viva! and our sister organisation the VVF will be spreading the truth about dairy to consumers on the streets – both the adverse health consequences and the impact on cows that are literally milked to death.
The Government has announced two trial badger ‘cull’s’ in England to be carried out in the West of England this autumn. Even on its best estimate, annihilating 70 per cent of badgers will reduce the incidents of TB in cattle by just 16 per cent over nine years. Blame for the other 84 per cent (at least) is ignored and the antibadger juggernaut continues to trample over science, common sense and reason.
We know that unreliable testing, the movements of millions of cattle across the country, intensified farming and bad biosecurity are largely to blame for TB in cows – not
Confinement, mutilation, squalor, threats and violence – it’s all in a day’s work on the British pig farm we daringly investigated a few months back. And we’ve seen enough of them to know that what we found is not unusual, in fact it’s very much the norm.
AMAZING MEDIA COVERAGE, 3,325 people taking the January vegan challenge and millions of others reading positive things about veganism for the first time ever. Result!
Veganuary founder, Matthew Glover, working with Viva!, was excited by the success, saying: “We’ve been overwhelmed by the positive response and media coverage. Veganism has entered the mainstream!” Veganuary made headlines in the Guardian, Independent, Daily Mail, Times, BBC online and MSN.
Why did they do it?
Participants were asked why they were taking the Veganuary challenge and said
This Mother’s Day, March 30, Viva! and Viva!Health are launching a brand new campaign called White Lies. It combines and updates all our work on the dairy industry and offers many important new resources.
By Veronika Powell, Viva! campaigner
By Justin Kerswell, Campaigns Manager
The front cover and page after full page in the Daily Mirror was our response to a deaf Government that refuses to listen to our calls to ban foie-gras. Despite being so cruel that its production is essentially banned in Britain, it can still be imported. There is no law against foie-gras here but any attempt to force feed ducks would bring a prosecution for animal cruelty. This is why Viva! has launched a campaign to persuade the Government to ban all imports.
During the past 10 years, I have regularly written to ministers
Viva! launches Life is Cheep? on November 19 with a Day of Action on Saturday, November 22. Juliet Gellatley, Viva!’s founder and director, explores why she feels so strongly about this campaign and urges us all to help one of the most maligned animals on the planet.
The fetid stench filled our nostrils as we walked towards a gargantuan complex of industrial sheds, remarkably close to the town centre of Ross-on-Wye.