Jane shows us how to make classic hummus. We have lots of great hummus recipes:
- Good Mood Hummus
- Kidney Bean Hummus
- Best Roasted Veg Hummus Topped with Toasted Pinenuts
- Red Pepper and Hummus with Smoked Paprika
Home-made hummus is much better than buying it in the shop!
Home made hummus is much better than buying it in the shop!
Here at the VRC we LOVE making our own hummus. It's so quick, easy and cheap and can contain loads less oil than the stuff you buy in the shops.
Here's my basic recipe:
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 tbsp tahini paste
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
Put all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and blend using a hand blender for the best results.
If it is too stiff, add more olive oil until it reaches the desired consistency.
Helen's top tips
- Add a tbsp of soya yoghurt to make it extra smooth and creamy
- Use different oils for a nice variation, eg avocado oil, hemp oil
- Use different beans instead of chick peas, like butterbeans or kidney beans
- Add in olives, roasted red peppers or sundried tomatoes