Wine and Dine
To help you on the night, make the pastry in advance if possible, as well as presoaking the apricots.
- 170g/6oz plain flour
- 55g/2oz soya flour
- 15ml/1tbsp caster sugar
- 5ml/1tsp salt
- 110g/4oz vegetable fat (frozen then grated, or use shredded veggie suet)
- 45ml/3tbsp soya cream
- 225g/8oz dried apricots, soaked overnight
- 225g/8oz soya cream
- 45ml/3tbsp brandy
- 45ml/3tbsp muscovado sugar
- Make pastry by mixing flours, sugar and salt and rubbing in vegetable fat.
- Add soya cream to bind. Mould into a ball and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Return to room temperature before rolling out and use to line a 20cm/8inch tart tin.
- Preheat oven at 220ºC/425ºF/Gas Mark 7.
- Place apricots and their soaking water in a saucepan over a gentle heat and cook until tender and all the water has evaporated (about 3 minutes).
- Blend half the apricots to a puree, add soya cream and brandy and pour into the pastry shell.
- Arrange the rest of the apricots over the puree.
- Then bend the sides over onto the apricots and mark with knife to make scallop shell effect.
- Sprinkle sugar over top and bake in preheated oven at for 15-20 minutes. Cool before slicing.