Wine and Dine
Onion Filo Tart
- 45 ml/3 tbsp olive oil
- 900g/2lb onions, peeled and sliced (Don’t be put off by the amount of onions required – they reduce terrifically when cooked)
- 5ml/1tsp sea salt
- 15ml/1tbsp caster sugar
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1.25ml/¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 5ml/1tsp juniper berries, crushed
- 6 sheets filo pastry, thawed
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 45ml/3tbsp soya cream
- Preheat oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas Mark 6.
- Heat 30ml/2 tbsp oil in saucepan and cook onions with salt, sugar and spices until onions begin to caramelise.
- Meanwhile, oil a flan tart with a removable base and line with 2 sheets of filo, pressing them against sides. Combine remaining oil with garlic and brush over filo.
- Use remaining filo to make strong base and sides, brushing with oil and garlic every third sheet.
- Fill the pastry case with baking beans and blind bake in hot oven for 10-12 minutes. Remove baking beans.
- Mix soya cream with cooked onions and pour into cooked pastry case. Return to oven and bake for further 15 minutes, or until the top is brown.
- Cool before slicing.
Viva!, 8 York Court, Wilder Street, Bristol BS2 8QH, UK
T: 0117 944 1000 F: 0117 924 4646 E: email@example.com