Wine and Dine
Aubergines and Red Onions Roasted with Marsala Veg
- 3 red onions, peeled and quartered (When quartering onions, try to leave some of root base-plate attached as this helps preventing them falling apart.)
- small bunch of fresh lemon thyme (Pick leaves off as carefully as possible. It doesn’t matter if you leave some stems attached but get rid of any particularly woody bits.
- 2 medium aubergines
- half a lemon, scrubbed and cut into about 8 chunks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 340ml/12fl oz sweet Marsala – or sweet sherry if you can’t obtain it
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
- Cut aubergine into chunks about same size as onion quarters.
- Put prepared vegetables, lemon pieces and thyme into a large bowl, add olive oil and give a good swirl about so oil evenly distributed.
- Now add a little salt, pour on Marsala and swirl again. You can leave it all to marinate for up to 2 hours at this stage, if you like, although this is not crucial.
- Place marinated vegetables and their liquid in a wide, shallow baking dish or tin, cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil, give dish stir and bake uncovered for a further 10-15 minutes, until vegetables are slightly browned and cooking liquid has reduced to a few tablespoons of intense, syrupy sauce.