Around The World in 80 Ways
Muttar Panir (Curd and Pea Curry)
Traditionally made with Indian curd cheese, this is just as good with tofu.
It’s one of my favourite Indian dishes – and given that I could
eat Indian food for breakfast, lunch and dinner, that’s saying something!
- 1 slab plain tofu
- 3-4 tbsp oil (plain sunflower or vegetable – not olive oil)
·2.5cm/1 inch piece fresh ginger, coarsely grated
·1 tsp turmeric powder
·¼-½ tsp paprika or chilli powder, according to how hot you like your curry
·1 tsp cumin seeds
·2 green cardamoms, skinned
·2.5cm/1 inch piece cinnamon, broken
·2 onions, finely chopped
·1 tsp poppy seeds
·1 tsp mustard seeds
·1½ tsp salt
·2 cups peas
·4 tomatoes, chopped
·2 cups water
·1 tsp garam masala
·1 tbsp lemon juice
- Slice tofu long ways to make 2-3 ‘steaks’.
- Drain well on kitchen paper to mop
up excess water.
- Fry in a little oil till golden on each side.
- Drain and allow to cool then chop into 2.5cm/1
inch cubes. Set aside.
- Grind ginger, turmeric, paprika, cumin, cardamoms
and cinnamon, adding a little water to form a paste.
- Fry onions, mustard seeds and poppy
seeds till golden.
- Add paste and salt and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add peas and tomatoes, stir fry for a few
minutes, add water, cover and cook till peas are tender.
- Add tofu cubes and stir in well so they soak
up the flavours.
- Before serving, sprinkle with garam masala and lemon juice.
- Serve hot with rice, lentil dahl and chapattis.