Around The World in 80 Ways
This has to be one of Viva!’s most favourite soups. It’s practically a meal in itself, but try it with salad and wholemeal bread for an even more substantial feast.
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- ½ cup celery, diced
- 1 cup undrained tinned tomatoes, chopped
- 1½ cup potatoes, diced
- pinch saffron
- 1 cup cooked brown lentils (tinned are fine, but rinse well)
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1-2 tbsp fresh coriander (if you can’t get this, minced in a jar is good)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Lemon wedges to serve
- In a soup pan, simmer onions in 1 cup of stock for 10 minutes.
- Combine cinnamon, turmeric, ginger and cayenne in a small bowl and add 2-3 tbsp of hot liquid to form a paste.
- Stir this paste into pot along with carrots, celery and remaining stock.
- Bring to boil then lower heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and potatoes and continue to cook, covered, for 15-20 minutes, until potatoes tender.
- Crumble in saffron.
- Stir in lentils, chickpeas, coriander, lemon, salt and pepper.
- Reheat and serve with lemon wedges.