Around The World in 80 Ways
Yellow Curry with Carrot Vegetarian
- 150ml/¼pt vegetable stock
- 8 Kaffir lime leaves
- 25g/1oz galangal, peeled and sliced
- 175g/6oz carrots, cut into chunks
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 large fresh chillies (red and green)
- 1 tbsp groundnut (peanut) oil
- 2 tbsp crushed roasted peanuts (see recipe for Mushroom and Tofu Satay)
- 300ml/½pt coconut milk
- 2 tbsp yellow curry paste (see below)
- 8 canned straw mushrooms, drained
- 4 shallots
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- Yellow Curry Paste
- 3 small fresh yellow or orange chillies
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- 4 shallots, roughly chopped
- 3 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 15 black peppercorns
- 1 lemon grass stalk, chopped
- 25cm/1in piece fresh root ginger, peeled and chopped
all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend to a thick past3
you can pound all ingredients together with a mortar and pestle.
paste to an airtight container and store in fridge for up to 3 weeks. Or
use a ready made paste such as Geo!
stock in a saucepan, add 5 lime leaves, galangal, carrots, half crushed
garlic and chillies.
for 15 minutes.
stock, reserving liquid and both carrots and chillies separately.
oil in a saucepan and fry remaining garlic for 1 minute.
reserved carrots and peanuts and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
coconut milk and curry paste and stir until well blended. Now add reserved
liquid, whole mushrooms and shallots and simmer, stirring occasionally,
for 15 minutes or until shallots are cooked. Add salt.
and finely slice reserved cooked chillies. Use as a garnish for curry,
together with remaining lime leaves.