Around The World in 80 Ways
Mushroom and Tofu Satay Vegetarian
Makes 8-12 satay sticks
- 2x250g/8oz blocks ready-fried tofu, sliced into 3.5/1½in lengths
- 200g/7oz fresh shiitake mushrooms, large ones cut in half
- 8-12 satay sticks, soaked in cold water for 20-30 minutes
- 125ml/4fl oz dark soy sauce
- 50ml/2fl oz water
- 15g/½oz palm sugar or light muscovado sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- Red Curry Paste
- 10 large fresh red chillies
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 5cm/2in piece of galangal, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 lemon grass stalk, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- 1tsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp groundnut (peanut) oil
all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend to a thick paste
you can pound all ingredients together with a mortar and pestle.
paste to an airtight container and store in fridge for up to 3 weeks. Or
use ready made curry paste!
Crushed Roast Peanuts
- 25g/1oz unroasted peanuts or cashew nuts
nuts in a frying pan, using no oil. Stir around constantly until they turn
a lovely golden colour.
from heat and allow to cool.
nuts in a plastic bag and break into small pieces using a rolling pin.
You can roast and crush a larger quantity of nuts, then store remainder for
up to 1 month in an airtight container in the fridge
- 1 heaped tsp vegan red curry sauce (see above)
- 1 tbsp groundnut (peanut) oil
- 250ml/8fl oz coconut milk
- 50g/2oz sugar
- 25ml1fl oz vegan fish sauce or soy sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- 65g/2½oz Crushed Roast Peanuts/Cashews
- 1 tsp crushed dried chillies
curry paste in a saucepan with oil and stir over gentle heat for 1 minute.
rest of ingredients then cook over a moderate heat until thickened and
pan from heat, turn into a bowl and allow to cool.
- chunks of cucumber
- spring onions, finely sliced lengthways
- satay sauce
satay sticks from water one at a time and carefully thread tofu and mushrooms
under a hot grill for 1-2 minutes on each side.
hot, garnished with cucumber chunks and sliced spring onions, with the
satay sauce in a separate bowl.