Around The World in 80 Ways
Spring Rolls Vegetarian Thai
- 12 square spring roll wrappers
- about 750ml/1¼pts vegetable oil for deep frying
- 12 toothpicks
- coriander leaves to garnish
- Plum Sauce
- 5 tbsp distilled white vinegar or Chinese rice vinegar
- 4 tbsp plum jam
- 1 small fresh red chilli, finely sliced
- Put vinegar in a small saucepan and heat gently, mixing thoroughly. Remove
from heat, turn into a small bowl and allow to cool. Add chilli before
- Soy and Vinegar Sauce
- 3 tbsp distilled white vinegar or Chinese rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1½ tsp caster sugar
- 2 small fresh red chillies, finely sliced – remove seeds if you don’t
like very hot food
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir until sugar has dissolved.
- 1 tbsp groundnut (peanut) oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 50g/2oz bean sprouts
- 50g/2oz white cabbage, shredded
- 2 fresh shiitake mushrooms, shredded
- 20g/¾oz celery (leaf and stalk), finely chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 50g/2oz dried bean thread noodles, soaked, drained and cut into short lengths
wok and add oil, garlic, bean sprouts, cabbage, mushrooms and celery.
for 30 seconds, then add sugar, soya sauce and noodles.
for 1 minute, then remove from heat and place ingredients on a plate.
wok clean with kitchen paper.
1 tbsp of filling on one corner of a spring roll wrapper, then roll it
up, wrapping in ends to form a neat tube.
a little oil to stick down last corner, then secure roll with a toothpick.
with remaining wrappers and filling.
oil for deep frying in a wok, pop in a batch of spring rolls and cook over
a moderate heat for 3-4 minutes until golden brown on all sides.
from oil with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
with remaining spring rolls.
toothpicks before serving and serve hot, with your chosen dipping sauce
in a separate bowl.