Vegetarian Slimming & Vegetarian Health
Artichoke & Lentil Pasta
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups diced onions
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups tinned tomatoes, chopped and liquid reserved
- 1 tin artichoke hearts, quartered
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 450g/16oz pasta such as farfalle (butterfly), penne or spiral
- Bring lentils, bay leaf and water to boil in a saucepan.
- Lower heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until lentils tender.
- While lentils cook, heat oil in a separate pan. Add onions and sauté on medium heat for about 5 minutes, until golden.
- Add garlic, cumin and coriander and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add lemon juice, tomatoes, artichoke hearts and crushed red pepper and simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Drain cooked lentils, reserving cooking liquid, then add lentils to tomato and artichoke mixture.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes more, adding about ½ cup of reserved liquid if sauce seems dry.
- Meanwhile, bring large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to packet instructions.
- Drain pasta and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Top with lentil and artichoke sauce, add salt and pepper to taste, sprinkle with Parmesan if desired and serve immediately.