Family Affairs: 7 Day Family Menus
Baked Beans on Wholemeal Toast.
Couldn’t be easier! An old British fave, but try with a little yeast extract (eg Marmite) on the toast to give the beans something special…
‘Cheese’ & Pickle Sandwiches
- 4 portions of bread or rolls - there are some delicious breads out there. Try foccacia or a granary French stick, for example.
- 1 pack of Redwood Cheezly Cheddar ‘cheese’ or other non-dairy cheese. (Redwood Foods make brilliant vegan ‘cheeses’ in a variety of flavours. The Gouda flavour is very good, as is the mozzarella. All are great on sandwiches - and they even make ones that melt on toast or pizza, too! Available from health shops or by mail order at www.Redwoodfoods.co.uk )
- pickle to taste
- tomato and cucumber, sliced thinly
- Spread bread with vegan margarine, if desired.
- Add pickle to one side, Cheezly on the other, tomato and cucumber, then put sandwich together - it’s that easy!
Speedy Smoky Pasta
- 375g/13oz/3 cups penne pasta
- 30ml/2 tbsp olive oil* Omit oil if cooking extra healthy version! Just sauté veggies in a little stock instead.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed or chopped
- 3 courgettes, thinly sliced
- 2 large red peppers, diced small
- 225g/8oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pack smoked tofu, cubed (Cauldron smoked tofu is available from all supermarkets in the fridge section)
- 1-2 440g jars pasta sauce of your choice, according to how ‘wet’ you like your pasta.
- Bag of green salad
- Mayonnaise or vinaigrette dressing
- Put on a pot of water to boil, add salt if required, then add penne pasta. Cook for approximately 10 minutes. Drain and put aside.
- While pasta is boiling, sauté onion, courgettes and pepper in olive oil for a few minutes then add garlic and mushrooms. Cook everything together until courgettes and onions are tender.
- Add diced smoked tofu and sauté gently for 2 minutes.
- Add pasta sauce. Stir in to incorporate ingredients and let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Mix up cooked pasta with the veggie & tofu sauce & freshly ground pepper in a large serving bowl.
- Serve with green salad and mayo/vinaigrette dressing.
- Variations: try mixing in 1 tbsp pesto and sprinkling with Parmesan - delicious!
Pineapple & Ginger Upside Down Cake
- 20g/¾oz 1½ tbsp vegan margarine
- 2 pieces stem ginger, chopped, plus 60ml/4tbsp syrup
- 450g/1lb can pineapple pieces in natural juice, drained
- 250g/9oz/2¼cups wholemeal self-raising flour
- 15ml/1tbsp baking powder
- 5ml/1tsp ground ginger
- 5ml/1tsp cinnamon
- 115g/4oz/1/2 cups soft light brown sugar
- 250g/8floz/1 cup soya milk
- 45ml/3tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 banana
- Preheat oven to 180Cº/350ºF/Gas Mark 4
- Grease and line a 20cm/8inch cake tin (fairly shallow)
- Melt margarine in small pan & stir in ginger syrup then heat over a high heat until thickened
- Pour mixture into prepared cake tin and level the surface
- Arrange stem ginger and ¹/3 pineapple pieces in bottom of tin
- Sift together flour, baking powder and spices in to a bowl. Mix in sugar.
- Blend together the milk, oil, the remaining pineapple and banana in a food process or blender until almost smooth, then add mixture to flour.
- Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon mix over pineapple and ginger pieces in tin.
- 1 Bake for 45 minutes (Bit less if a fan assisted oven) until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- 1 Leave to cool slightly, then place a serving plate over tin and turn upside down.
- 1 Serve hot or cold, with home made custard or soya cream