Family Affairs: 7 Day Family Menus
Fresh Fruit Salad & Yoghurt
- Just chop up some of your favourite fruits - try mango, grapes or papaya for a change - mix together and serve with soya yoghurt. Fruity soya yoghurt, eg Provamel Yofu, is now available from Tesco and other supermarkets, as well as health food shops.
- Add some nuts or seeds for an extra oomph
- Smoothie version - whizz everything up in the blender!
- Add nuts and banana to make it even more filling
Mushroom Paté Rolls. Yoghurt Pot & Fresh Fruit.
- 1½ dsp olive oil
- 200g/6oz mushrooms, finely sliced
- ½-1 level dsp miso, according to taste or yeast extract (such as Marmite) to taste
- 1 level dsp wholemeal flour
- Sauté mushrooms in oil for a couple of minutes.
- Add flour and cook for 3 minutes or so, stirring regularly, mixing and mashing with the back of a fork.
- Allow to cool, then add miso or yeast extract, mixing and mashing some more.
- If you would prefer a smoother paté, blend for a second or two.
Chilli Non-Carne with Avocado Dip Martin Shaw Cooks Veggie
This veggie version of an old favourite is even better with a dollop of Guacamole (avocado dip) which is quick and easy to make (see below) or available from all supermarkets in tubs in the fridge section.
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium courgette, chopped in half lengthways, then sliced
- 100g/4oz mushrooms, chopped
- 225g/8oz veggie mince (eg Realeat Vegemince in the freezer of most supermarkets and health food shops)
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp chilli powder (or less to taste)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 100g/4oz sweetcorn, rinsed and drained
- 100g/4oz kidney beans, rinsed and drained - if using tinned
- 225g/8oz long grain rice (10-11 minutes white, 20-30 brown)
- Avocado Dip
- 1 large or 2 small ripe avocadoes
- Few drops of fresh lime juice, to taste
- Half clove garlic, crushed - or more to taste
- Peel and mash avocado.
- Add a little garlic and lime juice and salt - too much garlic can kill the taste of the avocado, so adjust carefully.
- Also great as a snack with taco chips!
- Put on pan of water for rice.
- Cook brown rice if using - otherwise, start it a bit later.
- Fry onion and red pepper in oil until soft.
- Add garlic, courgette and mushrooms and cook till mushrooms are golden brown.
- Add mince and spices and fry 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly. (If mixture sticks, add some of tinned tomato juice.)
- Cook white rice for 10-11 minutes, or according to instructions
- Add tinned tomatoes, purée and peanut butter, stir well and simmer for 10 minutes over a low heat.
- Meanwhile, make avocado dip.
- Add sweetcorn and kidney beans to chilli and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- 1 Drain rice and rinse carefully.
- 1 Serve chilli on a bed of rice with a dollop of avocado dip on side.
Baked Bananas with Chocolate Dessert So, What Do You Eat?
Sometimes the easiest things are the best… get the kids making this one, it’s a fun, simple recipe for them to try!
- 1 large ripe banana per person
- 70ml orange juice per person
- ½ tsp brown sugar per person
- chocolate dessert such as Provomel/Alpro Soya Dessert (available from Sainsbury’s and other large supermarkets)
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Peel and slice each banana lengthways and lay in a dish.
- Pour over the juice and sugar.
- Bake in hot oven until soft and brown.
- Serve with chocolate dessert, or ice cream…