1. Poland’s Chief Veterinary Inspectorate, 2000.
2. Gazeta Wyborcza (daily), 15 March, 2000.
3. Poland’s Supreme Control Chamber ( NIK) reports 1997 and 2000.
4. Equine Advocates pamphlet, Bedford, New York, USA
5.Animals’ Angels, Live Animal Transport in Europe report, 2000.
7. The Sunday Times, London, 20 August, 2000.
8. ‘US Pork Producer Hogtied in Polish Venture’, The Washington Post, July 3, 2000, (Final Edition).
9. ‘Wspolodczowanie’ (Animal is not a thing) campaign, bulletin No.11, October, 2000.
10. Polityka Magazine, No. 22 (2091), 31 May, 1997.
11. G. Goetting, Meeting Albert Schweitzer, Warsaw.
12. Live Exports - A Cruel and Archaic Trade, CIWF, 2000.
13. Animal Welfare Institute Quarterly, Fall/Winter 1999-2000, Vol. 48/49, No. 4/1.
14. Agricultural Reform and the Protocol to the Treaty of Amsterdam: Improvements in Animal Welfare. Address by Dr Franz Fischler, Member of the European Commission (agriculture and rural development), European Parliament Intergroup on Welfare and Conservation of Animals, Brussels, 2 April, 1998.
15. Poland’s Supreme Control’s Chamber - NIK. Information No 137/2000
16. TV Vet Horse Book, p.128, 1987.
17. Feeding and Nutrition of Horses, John Kohnke, p.6, 1991.
18. The Horsemasters Notebook, Mary Rose, 1998.
19. The Manual of Horsemanship, Barbara Cooper, 1997.
20. Theo G Antikas, DVM, PhD. 2001, Secretary General of the Hellenic Pony Club, in a letter to Anna Diamantopoulou EMP, European commissioner, April 2001.
21. Veterinary Notes for Horse Owners, Captain M. Horace Hayes, 1990.
22. FEI, veterinary research update, horse transport studies, 2001.
23. Toscano, Friend. A note on the effects of forward and rear-facing orientations on movements of horses during transport, Applied Animal Behaviour Science, No. 73, May, 2001.
24. Collins et al. Effects of density on displacement, falls, injuries, and orientation during horse transportation, Applied Animal Behaviour Science, No. 67, October, 1999.
25. Vandeberg et al. Water and electrolyte intake and output in conditioned Thoroughbred horses transported by road, Equine Veterinary Journal, No. 30, 1998.
26. Smith et al. Effects of road transport on indices of stress in horses. Equine Veterinary Journal, No. 28, 1996.
27. Grandin et al. Prevalence of severe welfare problems in horses that arrive at slaughter plants, Journal of the American Veterinary Medicine Association (JAVMA), No.100,1999.
28. Friend et al. Stress responses of horses during a long period of transport in a commercial truck, JAVMA, No. 6, 1998.
29. Stull. Responses of horses to trailer design, duration, and floor area during commercial transportation to slaughter. Journal of Animal Science, No. 77, 1999.
30. Oikawa et al. Pathology of equine respiratory disease occurring in association with transport, J. Comp. Path, Vol. 113, 1995.
31. Stull and Rodeik. Physiological responses of horses to 24 hours of transportation using a commercial van during summer conditions, Journal of Animal Science, No. 78, 2000.
32. Live animal transport in the UK - the case for change. RSPCA Campaigns.
33. International league for the Protection of Horses Field Report; The slaughter horse trade in Eastern Europe, Slovakia/Poland/Belarus, September 25-October 15, 2000.
35. Information on web site www.sierraclub.org/factory farms/report01/.
36. Information on web site www.hogwatch.org