Home | Recipes | Foie-gras free Christmas | Save Turkeys | Save Ducks
Cracking Christmas Comps! | Send our e-card | Food shopping list | Donate to Viva!
Viva!’s Deluxe Chestnut, Port and Thyme Strudel
Preparation/cooking time 1 hour
1 packet puff pastry, defrosted
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 sticks celery, finely sliced
450g/1lb chopped nuts
1 packet vacuum-packed pre-cooked chestnuts, chopped
1 tin of chestnut puree
Big pinch thyme
4 tbsp/60ml port
1 tbsp soya milk
10 Brussels sprouts
1 tbsp Pure margarine or other dairy-free spread
Ground black pepper to taste
1. Pre heat oven to 180°C/350° F/Gas Mark 4
2. Lightly fry the onions, garlic and celery until soft.
3. Add the rest of the filling ingredients and stir.
4. Boil sprouts until soft then mash with margarine and pepper.
5. Line a baking tray with foil, grease and mould half the filling into a rectangle.
6. Using a spoon, make an indent down the centre, spoon in and press down the sprouts.
7. Layer the rest of the filling on top and smooth off with pallet knife into a rectangle.
8. Bake for 20 mins.
9. Meanwhile flour your work surface and rolling pin and roll pastry thin into a rectangle, three times the width of the filling.
10. Using two food slices, transfer the filling into centre of pastry and cut neatly around it, removing what remains in whole pieces.
11. Cut this excess pastry into long strips and layer across the top of the strudel, brushing with soya milk to attach ends to the strudel’s edges and glaze. Repeat in the other direction to create a lattice.
12. Decorate with holly and berries shaped from spare pastry.
13. Make for 20 mins until pastry is golden.
Viva! Vegetarians International Voice for Animals
8 York Court, Wilder Street, Bristol BS2 8QH, UK
T: 0117 944 1000 F: 0117 924 4646 E: email@example.com