1. Polands Chief Veterinary Inspectorate, 2000.
2. Gazeta Wyborcza (daily), 15 March, 2000.
3. Polands Supreme Control Chamber ( NIK) reports 1997
4. Equine Advocates pamphlet, Bedford, New York, USA
5.Animals Angels, Live Animal Transport in Europe report,
7. The Sunday Times, London, 20 August, 2000.
8. US Pork Producer Hogtied in Polish Venture,
The Washington Post, July 3, 2000, (Final Edition).
9. Wspolodczowanie (Animal is not a thing) campaign,
bulletin No.11, October, 2000.
10. Polityka Magazine, No. 22 (2091), 31 May, 1997.
11. G. Goetting, Meeting Albert Schweitzer, Warsaw.
12. Live Exports - A Cruel and Archaic Trade, CIWF, 2000.
13. Animal Welfare Institute Quarterly, Fall/Winter 1999-2000,
Vol. 48/49, No. 4/1.
14. Agricultural Reform and the Protocol to the Treaty of
Amsterdam: Improvements in Animal Welfare. Address by Dr Franz
Fischler, Member of the European Commission (agriculture and
rural development), European Parliament Intergroup on Welfare
and Conservation of Animals, Brussels, 2 April, 1998.
15. Polands Supreme Controls Chamber - NIK. Information
16. TV Vet Horse Book, p.128, 1987.
17. Feeding and Nutrition of Horses, John Kohnke, p.6, 1991.
18. The Horsemasters Notebook, Mary Rose, 1998.
19. The Manual of Horsemanship, Barbara Cooper, 1997.
20. Theo G Antikas, DVM, PhD. 2001, Secretary General of
the Hellenic Pony Club, in a letter to Anna Diamantopoulou
EMP, European commissioner, April 2001.
21. Veterinary Notes for Horse Owners, Captain M. Horace
22. FEI, veterinary research update, horse transport studies,
23. Toscano, Friend. A note on the effects of forward and
rear-facing orientations on movements of horses during transport,
Applied Animal Behaviour Science, No. 73, May, 2001.
24. Collins et al. Effects of density on displacement, falls,
injuries, and orientation during horse transportation, Applied
Animal Behaviour Science, No. 67, October, 1999.
25. Vandeberg et al. Water and electrolyte intake and output
in conditioned Thoroughbred horses transported by road, Equine
Veterinary Journal, No. 30, 1998.
26. Smith et al. Effects of road transport on indices of
stress in horses. Equine Veterinary Journal, No. 28, 1996.
27. Grandin et al. Prevalence of severe welfare problems
in horses that arrive at slaughter plants, Journal of the
American Veterinary Medicine Association (JAVMA), No.100,1999.
28. Friend et al. Stress responses of horses during a long
period of transport in a commercial truck, JAVMA, No. 6, 1998.
29. Stull. Responses of horses to trailer design, duration,
and floor area during commercial transportation to slaughter.
Journal of Animal Science, No. 77, 1999.
30. Oikawa et al. Pathology of equine respiratory disease
occurring in association with transport, J. Comp. Path, Vol.
31. Stull and Rodeik. Physiological responses of horses to
24 hours of transportation using a commercial van during summer
conditions, Journal of Animal Science, No. 78, 2000.
32. Live animal transport in the UK - the case for change.
33. International league for the Protection of Horses Field
Report; The slaughter horse trade in Eastern Europe, Slovakia/Poland/Belarus,
September 25-October 15, 2000.
35. Information on web site www.sierraclub.org/factory farms/report01/.
36. Information on web site www.hogwatch.org