Rice, Beans 'N' Greens
Serves 2-3 | 30 minutes - everything else is prepared and cooked while the rice is simmering
Serve with a quick and simple sauce - such as Sweet Potato Cashew Cream or one of the others in the Saucy section. Or cheat and use a ready-made cooking sauce - just check it's animal-free and below five per cent fat per serving!
- 300g/10oz wholemeal noodles or spaghetti
- 225g/8oz brown rice
- 750ml/1pt 6fl oz water
- ½ a low-salt stock cube
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Oil spray
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- large pinch chilli flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tins kidney or pinto beans, well rinsed and drained (buy salt-free if you can)
- Use curly kale, spring greens or dark green cabbage - if you are really pushed for time, try ready-chopped bags of curly kale! Aim for 3 good handfuls of shredded greens per person. If cooking from scratch, cut the large veins out of the greens and discard. Shred quite finely then wash thoroughly. Place in a steamer - and cook for 3-5 minutes. Don't let it get soggy.
1 Put the rice on to cook - wash, drain and place in a pan with the water, half a stock cube and the cinnamon.
2 Make a sauce of your choice. Keep warm until the meal is ready to serve.
3 Prepare the bean ingredients. Heat the oil spray, sauté the garlic then add the cumin and chilli flakes. Add a teaspoon of water if it starts to stick. Add the beans and salt and mix in well. Turn off the heat and keep warm.
4 Now steam the greens - shred them fine so they cook quickly.
5 Serve everything hot with the sauce on top or on the side.