Moroccan Quinoa Salad
Serves 2-4 | 20 minutes plus 1 hour chilling time
Genius - you can prepare the salad ingredients while the quinoa cooks - then leave the entire dish to chill and marinate while you do some chilling yourself - have a candle-lit bath for example!
- 175g/6oz dried quinoa
- 500ml/just under 1pt hot stock - made with 2 level tsp vegan bouillon powder or follow the packet instructions if using vegan stock cubes
- 2 lemons: zest from 1, juice from 1-2 (do the zesting before halving the lemons!)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp sugar
- 1 tin black beans OR chickpeas
- 1 tin sweet corn, drained (approximately 330g) - use the no-sugar, no-salt variety if possible - or the same weight frozen
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carton of fresh cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp toasted flaked almonds
- Handful of pitted green or black olives (in brine, not oil)
Add just before serving:
- 4 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
- 4 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tbsp plain soya yoghurt per person
- 1 hot wholemeal pitta bread per person
- Harissa paste (optional) on the side - a spicy Middle Eastern condiment.
1 Cook quinoa by dry roasting in a heavybottomed saucepan. Then add the hot stock and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally - add a little more hot water if it starts to stick.
2 While quinoa is cooking, whisk together lemon juice and zest, olive oil, orange juice, cumin, salt and sugar in a small bowl to make the dressing.
3 Combine quinoa and all remaining ingredients, except fresh herbs, into a medium-sized bowl.
4 Drizzle with vinaigrette. Toss to combine
5 Refrigerate for at least one hour to allow flavours to combine. Add fresh herbs just prior to serving. May be served at room temperature.
6 Warm pitta bread through about 10 minutes before serving.
7 Serve salad with the pitta bread, a dollop of yoghurt on the top - and a little harissa paste if you like things a little spicy!