Lentil & Tomato Soup
Serves 4 | 30 minutes
A really easy, tasty soup that is a big favourite with everyone. You can also add some grated carrot near the end if you want extra goodies in the soup!
- 2 squirts oil spray
- 1 onion, roughly chopped - use red if you can
- 1 red pepper, roughly chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed (optional)
- 175g/6oz red lentils, washed and drained
- 2 tins tomatoes - plum or chopped
- 1.15L/2pts vegetable stock - use 4 rounded tsp of powder or follow packet instructions if using cubes
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs or 1 tbsp fresh of your choice (eg thyme, oregano)
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: half a grated carrot per portion
1 Heat a medium-large saucepan and add the oil spray. Add the onion and sauté for several minutes until it starts to soften. Add a little stock or juice from the tomatoes if it starts to stick.
2 Add the red pepper and garlic and cook in for another 3 minutes.
3 Add the lentils, tomatoes, stock and herbs and stir in well.
4 Cook for 20 minutes or longer. If using grated carrot, add a few minutes before the end of the cooking time.
5 Blend to get the consistency you like - completely smooth or a bit textured. Use a hand blender if you have one, much quicker.
6 Taste and season to your liking.